Having a lathe and a mill is great as it really allows you to make more stuff!!
I have both the mini mill and the mini lathe that i bought couple of years ago. They just lay there until now. I am slowly beginning to use them (like the quadcopter’s new landing gear)
The nice thing about a lathe and mill combo is that one you reach a critical mass of tools, you can start making your own!!
Here’s a small set of tools i made with some printer shafts and some steel bar
From left to right
- 1/2″ printer shaft with a screw at the end to attach the lugback of a dial indicator. The shaft can then be chucked.
- 1/2″ printer shaft with a 1/8″ hole to accept 1/8″ shaft bits (like some carbide bits). There are 3 #6-32 screws to hold the bit
- 1/2″ to 3/8″ compression adapter
- A home made lathe tool to accept some indexable carbide bits i had laying around 🙂
- Another 1/2″ to 1/8″ adapter.
- Four 1/4″ thick steel blocks with 3/8″ slots milled into them. I am going to use these blocks to secure my small milling vise to the milling table.