Reconditioning and remotoring of roco 04146A locomotive

I recently brought a Roco 04146A loco (DB BR103) for a good price. Problem was that it had some missing pieces and looked really dirty. So i bought it and set about doing 2 things.

1: Cleanup the loco and adding the missing details

2: Remotor the loco. Originally it had a really chunky motor that drew almost 2amps peak. I wanted to replace it with a more modern can motor, skew wound.Also replace the lights with LED’s.

So here’s the loco after i bought it: The loco was dirty, the pantographs were coming off, some roof detail was missing.

That is a huge power hungry motor inside !

20120109-114926.jpg

Removed the old motor and the truck assemblies. I ordered a “Kato HM5” motor. This motor had about 1amp peak draw @12v. It has 2 long 2mm shafts. Below is where i milled the chassis to accommodate the HM5. Milling was easy as the material was diecast. It was easier on the endmill than when compared to aluminum.

20120109-114951.jpg

Then turned 2 flywheels for the motor to mimic the prototypical loco momentum.

20120109-115002.jpg

The truck wheel assemblies were removed. The gunk oil cleaned. Cleaned the wheel power contacts. Then i re-greased the assembles with a PTFE(Teflon) based synthetic grease. Much better than the traditional petroleum based greases.

20120109-115018.jpg

Here’s the assembled chasis with HM5, the flywheel, LED lights and a Digitrax ‘DZ125’ z scale decoder. It was so tiny, it fit right on top of the motor. I had to make a seperate wiring board to accomodate the new wiring.

A tip here : You want real fine stranded wires here. 32Awg works great. If you can’t get any or if you think prices are too high, try ‘www.hobbyking.com‘ website and search for 32 gauge servo wires. They are awesome!

20120109-115038.jpg

Closwer view of the motor. The motor is secured to the body by means of zip ties. They held up quite well.

20120109-115047.jpg

The assembled loco with the new mods. The top was giving some wiring detail by forming a nice 14awg bare copper wire and painting it with a hobby paint. Just like the prototype.

20120109-115055.jpg

20120109-115102.jpg

The real test of the loco. Worked great on my DCC layout!

20120109-115107.jpg

Advertisements
About

I am a computer engineer living in the beautiful city of Austin,TX. While my day job is designing computer chips, I love to dabble in woodworking, metalworking, r/c and electronics.

Tagged with: , , , ,
Posted in Model trains
3 comments on “Reconditioning and remotoring of roco 04146A locomotive
  1. Dennis says:

    How did you remove the body from the bottom section? I was just given one of these locos with no instructions, and I’d like to open it up to see if it would be possible to install a DCC adapter.

    • rkovvur says:

      Yup, i ran into the same problem. It was simple actually. Look at the last photo of the loco with the lights on. Near the pantographs, you will see 2 screws. These are the 2 screws securing the shell to the lower chassis. remove the 2 screws and the shell comes out

  2. Dennis says:

    I can’t believe I missed those. Thanks!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Archives
Categories
%d bloggers like this: