A DCC mod project on an old Piko Steam loco. This little loco had really nice running characteristics even without a flywheel and so i thought it would be great to add a dcc decoder. And since it had some hidden space, it became a good target for my supercaps.
My favorite mod for this loco was the addition of LED lighting. The existing lights were dummy (just painted silver). I replaced them with 0603 SMD LED’s.
Decoder used was Digitrax DZ125
Below: The Supercap module below the DZ125 decoder (enclosed inside a Kapton tape). Lots of liquid tape used to secure things firmly but not permanently.
The body and the shell. The dangling wires are for the LED lights. To keep with the prototype i did not make the lighting directional. Front lights are yellowish-white and rear lights are red.
The power of supercaps. This photo was taken a minute after the loco’s DCC power was turned off. The LED’s drew about 20mA current.
A nice finished loco stuffed with electronics !!