I have a turnigy9x radio that came with a 2.4Ghz module. However i also had some DSM2 receivers (Orange rx) that i wanted to use. I came across lots of posts that describe the process of adding a DSM2 module to the 9x radio. But not of them had a way of using both the antennas in a pleasing way. So if you are looking to use both the existing 2.4ghz radio module and the DSM2 module, read up.
So here’s what you need (or similar)
- Turnigy 9x Radio
- DSM2 module (I got mine from a HP6DSM radio)
- Two 2.4Ghz antennas (I got mine here from HK)
- Two Right angle SMA female connectors (I got them from Ebay)
- Two PCB strips that connect the SMA connectors to the back of the TX (Gerbers attached)
- 3.3v UBEC (it was cheap here at HK)
- 50ohm Co-ax wire for antenna connections
With the 2 antennas bent, that’s how the modified TX looks.
The interior of the Turnigy 9X radio with the DSM2 module secured and the 3.3v UBEC wired in.
The black spots on the wire are the ‘liquid tape’ from Home-Depot.
The power is switched manually between the DSM2 module and the Turnigy module. The switch is at the back of the TX.
Close-up of the SMA connector and the PCB-board. I used OSH-Park for the PCB service. The screws are 2mm socket head.
Finished TX. The switch at the back right above the Turnigy TX module controls the power to the DSM2 or the turnigy module.
Some links that help in adding the DSM2 module to the turnigy 9X radio.